DID THE GOVERNMENT PAY A RANSOM FOR THE RETURN OF PRISONERS AND DID HILLARY CLINTON KNOW ABOUT THE DEAL?
A cash payment of $400 million dollars, in euros, Swiss francs and other currencies flown to Tehran on a cargo plane– a payment made by the United States to Iran– prisoners are then released a short time later. Ransom or not? Here are the comments from insiders– you decide.
- The Wall Street Journal reports “The Obama administration secretly organized an airlift of $400 million worth of cash to Iran that coincided with the January release of four Americans detained in Tehran, according to U.S. and European officials and congressional staff briefed on the operation afterward.”
- Senator Marco Rubio says about the transaction, “Obama administration sent a plane load of cash to #Iran as ransom as part of a deal on hostages. Just unreal.”
- Senator Cruz says, the Iran nuclear deal “is nothing but a series of bribes and secret agreements that will do nothing to prevent Iran from reaching nuclear capability, yet will provide funding for their sponsorship of terrorism and encourage them to detain more of our citizens.”
- Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, said “the payment to Iran was part of the resolution of a long-standing financial dispute between the two nations, and was delivered in cash on pallets because the two countries do not have a banking relationship,” the New York Times reports.
- Republican National Committee spokesman Reince Priebus also released a statement on the report. The statement said, “The Obama-Clinton foreign policy not only means cutting a dangerous nuclear deal with the world’s number one state sponsor of terrorism, it also means paying them a secret ransom with cargo planes full of cash.”
The White House is playing the payment off as “old news”, something that was part of a deal hatched following the seizure of Iranian money that had been sent to the U.S. by Iran in 1979 to purchase arms. The money was frozen by the U.S. after the Shah of Iran was forced from office by Iranian radicals.
The deal smacks of ransom to us. Given Hillary Clinton’s early involvement in the U.S/Iran deal, her complicity seems likely. Almost certainly, she was aware of the cash transaction (She has remained in the loop). We have little doubt that she would deny all negative aspects of the deal. If she had memorialized any details about the incident on any of her private emails, they almost certainly would have been deleted.